Travelling with a <span class="highlight">dog</span>

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 24, 2007 at 21:44
ThreadID: 48069 Views:2245 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I wondered if anyone could let me know if there are any restrictions regarding taking a dog when travelling on tracks requiring a transit permit?
I am planning on going on the either the Great Central Rd,Gunbarrel Hwy or Anne Beadell Hwy and C.S.R.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2007 at 22:19

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2007 at 22:19
Tony I'd be more worried that the dog might pick up a bait...a horrible way to see your mate go, believe me.
I'm a dog lover, but mine stay at home.
AnswerID: 254320

Follow Up By: Member- Tony C - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:08

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:08
Thenks Footloose.I Hadn't realised the extent of the baiting in these areas and the risk.
FollowupID: 515415

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2007 at 22:43

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2007 at 22:43
Tony

For most of my life I've had working dogs. At the moment I have a little thing that has somehow got under my skin.

I go away each year and miss the damn dog. She's very robust and would adapt to any conditions.

In answer to your query, it's more about protection and looking after the dog than an issue with permits. The trip your planning won't create any problems.

Regards

Kim.
AnswerID: 254327

Follow Up By: Member- Tony C - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:23

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:23
Kim,
Like you i have had working dogs all my life until the last couple of years and get extremely attached to them and certainly dont want to expose one to any unnecassary risk.
Thanks for your advise.
Regards
Tony
FollowupID: 515416

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 at 00:14

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 at 00:14
Should be no worries but as Footloose say's .....baits, if it's a small dog would be better

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 254338

Follow Up By: Member- Tony C - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:32

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:32
Thanks Doug,
Do you know what baits are used mostly and are the spread by plane or buried baits?
Great pic of Dusty under the sign.
Cheers
Tony
FollowupID: 515418

Follow Up By: Member- Tony C - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:33

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:33
Dog, by the way is a Jack Russel
FollowupID: 515420

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 at 11:59

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 at 11:59
Tony
Most places use 1080. properties will have it warned on the gates, I would be most surprised if you were to find 1080 or any other type of poison anywhere near a camping area, so if you kept Mr Jack Russel tied up or supervised as I do with Dusty then I see no rason why he won't have a wonderful time with you,
About the sign, I been waiting just to see if some Do-Gooder made a mention about it, From the time that photo was taken about midday our next stop was passed Curtain Springs , we were on a Job with a truck from Laverton to North Qld ,
same as the photo I have of Dusty at Poeppel Corner, I think he was on the NT side of the post where there is no NP , ....(tongue in cheek), Have a look at my profile pics , I will put it in
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 515430

Reply By: blown4by - Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 15:07

Friday, Jul 27, 2007 at 15:07
Check the dog thoroughly every day for any sign of brown ticks (kangaroo ticks) and carry 500ml bottle of metho with you and if you find one hold a tissue soaked in metho on it for about a minute to get it to loosen up and back out and then grab it gently and twist and pull GENTLY at the same time until it lets go. Don't squeeze the tick with tweezers otherwise you force the poison out of it into the dog. Check the tick with a magnifying glass when it is out to make sure you got the head out (that's why you pull GENTLY) which consists of two small pincers. Leaving any of it behind can cause problems later. You can get a special "tick-puller" in one of those National Geographic Australiana type shops or possibly Ranger Camping but personally I have never tried one of them. My Shepherd goes every where I go and if dogs are not allowed eg National Parks then we don't go there. If there was any possibility of 1080 baits I would keep the dog on a lead at ALL times and keep it tied up when back at camp. The dog will enjoy iteself just as much because at least it is with you. Good luck. Personally I believe all dog owning travellers should band together and lobby CALM to get them to relax the dog ban in some National Parks. Surely it is not necessary to ban them from EVERY park in Australia. I think it is just easier for CALM if they have a blanket ban. You will find stupid and irresponsible dog owners very few and far between when travelling because the ones that don't care about them and are idiot owners leave them home anyway in the main. I will qualify that by saying not all those that do make the choice to leave them home are not caring owners. It is their choice to make. What I am saying is that there are thousands upon thousands of people travelling all around Aus these days for extended periods who have a dog that is part of their family and if they are responsible owners and follow the rules that apply it is a shame if they can't take their dogs with them. I think you will find if the roads you are on are gazetted public roads you are entitled to have a dog in the vehicle even if it goes through a National Park.
AnswerID: 254715

Sponsored Links